Tuesday 15 October 2013

Chapter I – Lincoln High

Our story starts at Lincoln High School, in Los Angeles, USA. It’s a nice suburban High School, packed with kids going about their daily lives. You don’t have to worry about who I am, I’m just the narrator. We’ll just leave it at that, for now. So, Lincoln High is just your average school from the suburbs: cliques and divas, jocks and bullies and of course, geeks and outcasts.
The story begins with a group of outcasts that had no idea what was going to happen to them. I’m going to tell you the story as I’ve heard it and seen it myself. Let’s get to it, then.

It was a hot autumn morning when school started. People had mixed feelings about the school’s start: the popular kids couldn’t wait to get back to school while the least popular were not that anxious to return to class. By far the least anxious to get back to school were a group of three teenagers that huddled in the corner of the school yard, waiting for the principal’s speech to be over.
- This year is going to suck the most. I can see it all now.
- Come on, Ben. It can’t be worst than last year.
- Guys, just shut up. The principal has just about finished his speech and we can get to class and be done with it.
It was then when they met the final addition to their group: a short, blonde girl that wore a pair of wide-frame glasses, named Chrissie.
- Uhm, hi! Do you guys mind if I sit over here with you?
Ben looked at her with distrust, but nodded his head.
- Sure. You can sit with us.
The other boy smiled and reached out a hand.
- Hi, I’m Albert. This is Camille and this guy over here is Ben. He’s a bit…
- A bit what?
- A bit weary of strangers?
- Guys, be nice, will you?
- Uhm, I’m Chrissie. I’m new to this school. I don’t know anybody around here. I saw you guys hanging around and I thought I should hang with you. You seem…
- What? Do we seem geeks to you? Or losers?
- Calm down, Ben…
Albert shuffled on his feet and grabbed Camille by her shoulders, trying to hide behind her.
- Calm down, let’s hear what she had to say.
-I wanted to say that you seem to be nice people.
Camille smiled.
-Thanks. We’re a nice bunch. Ben has a more…”fiery” temper.
- Why do you guys hang out so far away from the others.
Ben put his hands in his pocket and looked to the crowd of teenagers gathered in the yard.
- Why do you think? They’re a bunch of rich-kid jerks, that’s why.
- Uhm, Ben’s kind of right. They don’t like people like us.

Chrissie scratched her head and straightened her glasses. Camille put her hand on Chrissie’s shoulder and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment